Thursday, April 15, 2010

Not by Any Standards is this Well Made

But I still like it.



For one of our final projects in textiles, we were to make a wearable garment. Months ago, we dyed and printed on four yards of fabric, trying to keep in mind it'd eventually become some article of clothing. Though I went out to purchase a pattern for it, little did I know I wouldn't have enough time to use it, and it was more complicated than I thought once I actually read the directions. Returning the pattern, I set out to make a dress all on my own. It's a bit hazardous at the seems, but besides a slightly crooked zipper and a few misaligned seems, it's pretty wearable.

I started off with a straight cut top I made two thick straps for, seeing it as a halter dress. Once that was finished, I made a skirt designed to be poofy and wrinkly, which I will wear a tulle slip under to make it more fifties style. Once I scrunched the fabric enough, I sewed over the folds and came out with something that looked quite like this:



When I was finished, one of the last steps was to attach them. Taking a strip of fabric and sewing it to the shirt, I then sewed the skirt to that strip that way all of the wrinkles would show in this little cute border. The zipper was the hardest, and not centered I realize now (aka too late), but it wasn't that difficult to sew on, just had to be careful as always. The end product, with my belt, looks like this:

1 comment:

  1. Ah! I love this so much, you talented little fiend. And your dorm room never looks like a dorm room, it always looks like... idk, fab. Jealous.

    ReplyDelete