Monday, April 26, 2010

Things are Looking Grateful Dead

Finally I have finished this design! Weeks ago, we were assigned two pieces on silk for a Batik project. Of course, making this hard on myself, I chose to do a skeleton theme. The assignment was to have one be a scene, and the second be a closeup of that scene (the best way I can describe this). I always tell myself I'm going to keep it simple, but I never learn, because that never happens.

So I chose to do a skeleton, and then a spine - using cool and warm colors on each. I wanted the effect to be a bit more like watercolors, but since this was my first time doing Batik, that didn't really happen. However, with some silk resist, wax, and a little bit of patience, I was able to pump them out.




The Skeleton is shown all dry and hanging up on the clothes line finished! The spine here is an older shot, still wet and unwashed, with the wax still on - but you get the general idea.

In the end, I decided it looked rather Grateful Dead. However, this is only one more reason to like it. :]

1 comment: