Saturday, December 12, 2009

This Semester's Art

I rarely post school work. I'm a lazy person, and doing that requires going over to the art building and snapping some shots. However, if I showed everything here I've done in the past semester, I'm pretty sure it would be overload. I picked my favorite things to display here for you guys.

This drawing was based on bones, believe it or not. Not sure why, but Stake, my drawing teacher, told us to do an "ambiguous space" drawing inspired by a bone shape. So, we each grabbed one and drew away. Conte and charcoal were my weapons of choice for this one.





This assignment I totally treated as a joke. And yet, I still like how it came out. We were told to draw something that included metal, hair, drapery, and a pattern. The first thing that included at least two of those aspects was a Spartan Helmet. And when something gets stuck in my mind, it's stuck. So, I chose this. In one of the dark corners I wrote this is sparta in pencil, so if you shine it the right way in the light you can see it. However, it is very small, and a joke to all those who were there in the studio when I drew this. Conte and charcoal were used on this, as well.



Before diving into the area of model drawing, we were told to compose a composition of hands and feet. Though I misused the bottom space pretty terribly, I loved the end restult - my drawings was one of the only "conceptual" ones in the class. Most people, though I can't blame them, just composed hands and feet somehow. Yet we see my mythology class slipping into my brain here. Hermes, anyone? More conte and charcoal.



We also did a few head studies of each other in class. This was my first and favorite. Done with conte.




One thing that we always did in the beginning of class before drawing large drawings is gestures. It's like a warm up. Though last year I hated doing these, this semester mine have gotten better. These are only a fraction of them, ranging from one to three minute poses. These were usually done with conte.



We also did some slightly longer poses, and did contour drawings, as well as more shaded ones. Conte was used for these.





We also had a male model for about a week, who I drew both in and out of class a few times. The orange conte piece I drew outside of class in an open model session one night, and this was my favorite one. Unfinished, but it wasn't a long pose. The second I drew in class on grey paper with different types of conte, and is alright to me. Everyone else's looked better, I think, but somehow I still enjoy the way the medium and paper worked together.





This last collection is my final - something I did in the end just to peeve Stake, and finally have some fun myself. I have been thinking in titles, and mannequins are super creepy in my opinion. With their heads covered like this, it made way for some interesting thoughts. The still life in class was very complicated, but I stuck to simple elements. Which he didn't mind in the end, though I think he liked other things I've done better. Though many pieces in the class surpassed mine in terms of effort I'd say, I had fun, and it's pretty impressive I did these when my brain was pretty much done with work. Done with colored conte.

1 comment:

  1. Very impressive! I especially like the 8th peice.

    I think your gestures need to focus more on building from the inside out. My prof always tells us to focus on the hands, feet elbows and knees. try getting the realtionships right and then build from that.

    ReplyDelete